Meet the Providers
Comprehensive Orthopedic Care in Sarasota, FL
Get ready to be treated like the MVP you are!
Not only are the orthopedic healthcare providers at Advanced Sports Medicine Center in Sarasota, Florida, the top in their field, they also take your care and comfort seriously. We give our patients the medical attention, time, compassion, and respect we’d show our own family members. Rest assured that by choosing us, you’ve selected the orthopedic experts with a reputation for excellence when it comes to treating knee, shoulder, and hip injuries.
We invite you to take a moment to learn a little more about each of our orthopedic providers.
John Moor, MD
Board-Certified and Fellowship-Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
The expertise, skill, and passion of Dr. John Moor – Sarasota’s knee, shoulder, and hip specialist – is evidenced by his accomplishments as an orthopedic surgeon in Florida and beyond. He is the only orthopedic surgeon in Sarasota who is fellowship-trained in both arthroscopy and shoulder surgery. He trained at the world-renowned Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Denver (where his patients included athletes from the Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies, and U.S. Ski Team) and the University of Iowa’s Hawkeye Sports Medicine Center.
Although Dr. Moor’s expertise lies in arthroscopy and joint replacement of the knee, shoulder, and hip, he also treats many other orthopedic and sports medicine issues. His patients come from all over the U.S. and include professional athletes, college sports teams, and Olympians. Dr. Moor also sees young athletes with sports injuries, middle-age weekend warriors, and senior citizens needing hip and knee replacements. With such an extensive and specialized skill set, it’s no wonder patients seek him out.
Dr. Moor received his medical degree from the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo in 1983 and completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at Ochsner Medical Center in Jefferson, Louisiana, in 1988. He then completed two fellowship trainings: in sports medicine and arthroscopy at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1989) and in orthopedic shoulder surgery at the University of Western Ontario (1990). He is double board-certified, in both orthopedic surgery and orthopedic sports medicine.
Dr. Moor has earned national recognition as a guest speaker at national orthopedic conferences, and he’s had the honor of teaching international orthopedic surgeons with the Arthroscopic Association of North America (AANA). Other achievements include being an elected member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), an editor for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, and an associate professor at Florida State University’s College of Medicine (in Tallahassee, Florida) and at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (in Erie, Pennsylvania).
In his spare time, Dr. Moor leads an active lifestyle in Florida with his wife and four children. He was an athletic child and student who loved sports, whose abilities were recognized with a Division I football scholarship to Kent State University in Ohio. In his spare time, Dr. Moor coaches basketball, baseball, and soccer and attends local sporting events with his family.
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Medical College of Ohio (now the University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences), Toledo, OH
- Ochsner Medical Center – Ochsner Health System, Jefferson, LA
- Shriners Hospital for Children – Shreveport, LA
- South Louisiana Medical Center
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- Western University, London, Ontario Canada
- Orthopedic surgery – American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopedic sports medicine – American Boar of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) – elected official
- Arthroscopic Association of North America (AANA)
- Florida Medical Association (FMA)
- Sarasota County Medical Society (SCMS)
Conrad Penner, PT, DPT, MSC, MTC, FAAOMPT
Director of Physical Therapy
Conrad Penner is the director of physical therapy at Advanced Sports Medicine Center in Sarasota, Florida. He is a highly qualified and experienced physical therapist who has received his master of science (MSC) and doctor of physical therapy (DPT) degrees. He obtained his manual therapy certification (MTC) and is recognized as a fellow by the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy (FAAOMPT).
In addition to his work at Advanced Sports Medicine Center, Conrad also serves as a physical therapist for Sarasota Christian School in Fruitville, Florida, and as a consultant for State College of Florida – Bradenton as well as the New York Yankees (as a Manatee County representative).
- Washburn University, Topeka, KS
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- Wichita State University, Wichita, KS
- University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences, St. Augustine, FL
- MGH Institute of Health Professions (a Harvard Medical School affiliate), Boston, MA
- Manual Therapy Certification
- American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy (AAOMPT) – Fellow
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) – Orthopedics
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) – Orthopedic Section, Sports Section
- Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA)
- Florida Physical Therapy Association (FPTA) – Representative
- National Education Association (NEA)
James Duryea, ATC
Certified Athletic Trainer
James Duryea is a certified athletic trainer who joined Advanced Sports Medicine Center in Sarasota, Florida, in 2005. He helps orthopedic patients recover after an injury, illness, or surgery. Preventing injuries is a big part of the services he provides clients, guiding athletes – from amateurs and weekend warriors to the pros – in the posture, movements, and best practices that can help them avoid future injuries.
James served honorably in the U.S. Coast Guard. After college, he interned with the USCG Academy’s NCAA Division III intercollegiate sports teams, the Bears, as well as with the San Francisco Giants’ minor league baseball affiliate. Prior to joining Advanced Sports Medicine Center, he worked for the Toronto Blue Jays minor league baseball affiliate.
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Central Connecticut State University, New Britain, CT
- Certified Athletic Trainer